AFRICA'SOUT! is currently looking to fill the following positions:
AFRICA’SOUT! Digital Media Internship
AFRICA’SOUT! programs are growing and we are seeking interns to help share news + opportunities and spread our mission to honor, support and defend artists who radically change the narrative around Africa and its Diaspora, first and foremost, for themselves.
The Digital Media intern will work with AO! team members and report to the Director. They will help promote artists and initiatives around the global diaspora in line with the AO! mission. The intern will learn to design social media strategy and storytelling using social media. The intern will also help design and post AO! events like Celebration 2018, the AO! exhibition and Creativity+ Courage award recipient and the Artist in Residence announcement.
- Help maintain and develop online communications presence for AFRICA’SOUT! and its social media platforms.
- Draft social media posts and build posting schedules.
- Identify social media takeover partnerships.
- Draft monthly newsletters and build newsletter schedules.
- Administrative tasks also include research on contacts, artists, and exhibitions; filing, copying, scanning, office organization, deliveries, and other general administrative tasks.
- Relevant graduate school and/or work experience, particularly in photography and fine art.
- Strong communication and computer skills required; knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and InDesign are preferred.
- Familiarity with Google Analytics is a plus.
- Exceptional writing skills for various media platforms: website (africasout.com), facebook (facebook.com/africaisout), twitter (@africasout), instagram (@africasout).
Spring semester, March – June 2018, 2-3 days a week
Our studio offices are located in Brooklyn near the JMZ trains and several Brooklyn bus lines. Remote work is a possibility in some cases.
All interns receive a Metrocard and lunch on days worked in the studio. This is an unpaid internship.
Interns seeking academic credit are encouraged to apply.
Please submit a single PDF with a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Founded in 2014 by artist and activist Wangechi Mutu, AFRICA’SOUT!s mission is to honor, support and defend artists who radically change the narrative around Africa and its Diaspora, first and foremost, for themselves. AFRICA'SOUT! harnesses the power of artists and the creative community, especially from within Africa and its diaspora, to highlight the urgency of pressing social and political issues through unique and dynamic platforms. AFRICA’SOUT! grant-making is to advance radical change through the power of art and activism, particularly supporting artists, initiatives and institutions from Africa and its Diaspora that celebrate freedom of creative expression.
AFRICA’SOUT! is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.